Since I will learn lots about you, here's a bit about me!
Becoming a therapist was like a duck taking to water for me....
Since my early days as a well-meaning youth at the local Stone Ridge and then Sidwell Friends School, I was often seen in the hallways giving friends appreciated (and sometimes, not so much appreciated!) advice. From classes and teachers, to friends, dating, sports, and homework, to parents and siblings -- I often had my head in other people's business and lives, trying to help them.
Not much of a surprise to my family and friends, I graduated in 1985 with a degree in Psychology from the University of Vermont. I worked in my early years following college in several local D.C. agencies supporting women's, family health, and adolescent/teen mental health issues. During time happily spent after this as a full time at-home mom during my late 20's/early 30's, I co-founded a local 501c(3) that collaborated with the Fairfax County Police Department to create undercover protocols for identifying and reporting child sex abuse rings. Once my kids launched into school, I formally jumped into my lifetime calling attending Marymount University [Magna Cum Laude, Chi Sigma Iota] and became a Licensed School and private practice LPC Counselor. Recent career updates include becoming a Clinical Resident Supervisor. I am excited to share my many years of real world experience and knowledge with counseling graduate students working to complete their training residencies.
With over 50+ years of life in the often rewarding but challenging D.C. area pressure-cooked rat race, 25+ years of my own marriage and parenting experiences raising kids in the local Langley High School district, and 20+ years of community advocacy leadership, training, and counseling work with adults, couples, families, and teens --- I know "what’s up" and how to help you. How to help you help yourself; and how to help you help those you love.
SICK OF FEELING LIKE YOU ARE STUCK ?
FEELING PARALYZED ABOUT WHICH DIRECTION TO GO ?
OR JUST PLAIN TIRED OF HOW HARD IT CAN ALL FEEL ?
. . . IS THIS GROUND HOG DAY AGAIN ?
Clinical Training/Professional Certifications/Awards & Board Memberships:
- Registered Clinical Supervisor, Commonwealth of Virginia, 2020
- Discernment Counseling Certification, 2019
- Clinically Certified Mental Health Counselor, National Board of Clinical Counselors 2018-present
- Nationally Board Certified, National Board of Clinical Counselors, 2005-present
- Expert Witness, Fairfax County Court System, 2010-present
- Relational Life Therapy (RLT) Clinician 2017
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) Certification 2016
- Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT) Level I Certification 2017
- Washington Post, Letter to the Editor, Whitney Houston and Drug Abuse, Feb. 2012
- FCPS School Board Expert Testimony “Fairgrade Grade Change Issue,” 2009
- Chi Sigma Iota, International Counseling, Academic & Professional Honor Society, Inducted 2005
- Psi Chi, National Honor Society in Psychology, Inducted 2005
- Fairfax County Schools Trained Peer Mediator, 2005
- Board Member, Virginia Association for Specialists in Group Work, 2004-2008
- Winner, Mariel C. Furlong Award for Making a Difference, Childhood Food Allergy Research,2004
- Planning Committee, Very Special Arts, Inc. [Children with Exceptionalities] 2000-2001
- Member, Optimists International, Inc. Youth Assistance Organization, 1999-2005
TOGETHER we can beat the exhaustion that comes from not knowing how to manage all that has been dumped on your plate.
A plate so heavy now that you can’t even lift it to the table, nonetheless eat from it. Eat from it, and live your life with the joy and celebration that you and your loved ones planned so long ago when you started out on this journey!!